My beautiful SX-1980

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Sony STR-6036A

Here is a Sony STR-6036A I got, it's a neat little receiver, 18 watts per channel and a 3 gang tuner with 2.2uV sensitivity (IHF rating).










Sunday, November 20, 2011

Marantz 2220B

Here is a 2220B I brought back to life, it had a channel out but it was just dirty controls that were causing it to drop out. I put new lamps in it and set the DC-offset and bias to spec and it sounds gorgeous, it definitely has that Marantz sound, not to mention that it's a very pretty receiver.










Saturday, November 19, 2011

Marantz 2252B recap and service

Got a 2252B from my friend needing the pots and switches Deoxited and new lamps. I'm replacing all the caps including the filter caps and replacing all the transistors in the preamp sections, a standard procedure for me. I'm also pulling the outputs and re-greasing them with new heatsink grease. The caps I'm using are Nichicon PW for the power amp and power supply sections, Panasonic FC for the preamp sections, Nichicon KL for the orange low noise caps and Panasonic ECQ film caps for any caps under 1uF.

Some before shots:

 Tuner board

Phono amp board


Tone amp board


Power amp/power supply board


Old filter caps versus new

And after!

Tuner board


Phono amp


Tone amp


Power amp/power supply board


New main filter caps



This receiver was a pleasure to work on compared to some Marantz receivers, everything was a lot more open then others. I have been burning in the caps for a couple of days now and it has that sweet Marantz sound, I really like it. Chalk another one up as recapped and serviced, with a big improvement in sound! Have I ever mentioned how much a recap improves the sound of a vintage amp or receiver? I do it to everything I get for myself and I highly recommend it to my customers. Multiple personal experiences of listening to stuff before and after a recap has never failed to amaze me in the difference a recap makes.

Sherwood S-9910 recap and service

I got a Sherwood S-9910 to service and recap, this thing is a big receiver! No known problems, except that the controls need Deoxit applied to them, which I'll be doing. I'll be replacing all the caps, including the filter caps, along with all the transistors in the preamp sections. I'll also be pulling the outputs and re-greasing them along with cleaning the relays. The caps I'll be using are Nichicon PW for the power amp and power supply sections, Panasonic FC for the preamp sections, Nichicon KL for the blue and orange low noise caps and Panasonic ECQ film caps for any caps under 1uF. Here are a few specs on this receiver:

100 watts per channel into 8 ohms
4 gang tuner with a 1.7uV sensitivity
Triple tone controls and adjustable input sensitivity for the phono 2 input
Weighs 41 lbs

Here are some before pics of the boards and other stuff:

Tuner board
 
Phono preamp board


Tone control board


Tape/Mode board


Driver boards


Power transistor/relay board


Power supply board


Filter caps


Tuning capacitor

And here is after!

Tuner board


Phono amp board


Tape/Mode board


Tone amp board


Driver and power transistor/relay boards


Power supply board


New main filter caps