My beautiful SX-1980

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pioneer SX-626 recap job

I'm recapping the 626 I mentioned in a earlier post, the caps I'm using are Nichicon PW caps for the power supply and general purpose caps and Nichicon KL for the solid aluminum low noise caps, and any thing under 1uF gets Panasonic ECQ film caps. I'm also replacing two transistors that are known for becoming leaky and noisy with age.

Some before photos:


Equalizer amp, or phono amp


Power supply


Tone amp


Power amp


And after the recap!

Phono amp


Power supply


Tone amp


Power amp


More photos of the receiver! This one is very unusual as it has champagne colored letters! Very rare, I've never seen another 626 like it. It's almost mint, the wood case is about as clean as you can get, and the faceplate only has a few small marks on it.