My restored SX-1980

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pioneer SX-626 recap job

I'm recapping the 626 I mentioned in a earlier post, the caps I'm using are Nichicon PW caps for the power supply and general purpose caps and Nichicon KL for the solid aluminum low noise caps, and any thing under 1uF gets Panasonic ECQ film caps. I'm also replacing two transistors that are known for becoming leaky and noisy with age.

Some before photos:


Equalizer amp, or phono amp


Power supply


Tone amp


Power amp


And after the recap!

Phono amp


Power supply


Tone amp


Power amp


More photos of the receiver! This one is very unusual as it has champagne colored letters! Very rare, I've never seen another 626 like it. It's almost mint, the wood case is about as clean as you can get, and the faceplate only has a few small marks on it.









7 comments:

  1. " I'm also replacing two transistors that are known for becoming leaky and noisy with age ."

    You replaced two transistors that are know for becoming leaky and noisy with age . Are they the output transistors located on the power amp heat sink ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they were two small signal transistors on the tone amp, they are 2SA725's, Q3 and 4 according to the service manual.

      Delete
  2. Hello Matt ,

    Just a few questions . I have a receiver like this that I would like to recap also . Did you do a complete cap job or partial ? Who is your source for parts ?

    Also what do you think would cause the low filter switch to make a loud popping noise when it's pushed in . It is heard through both speakers even with the volume setting all the way down . What do you think is causing this , haven't had time to trace it myself .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was almost complete, the only caps I did not do was the filter cap and the two DC blocking caps on the power amp board. I used mouser.com for everything.

      The low filter switch popping is caused by leaking caps, most likely the two sky blue solid aluminum caps on the tone amp board, they are notorious for this. Recapping it will solve that problem.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your quick responses to my questions !! I love vintage audio gear . They simply don't make equipment of this quality today .

      You have a Great Blog !

      Delete