My restored SX-1980

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Another Sherwood S-9910 recap!

Got another S-9910 for a recap and going over, this one is a little more dirty then the last one and every lamp but one was out. Owner wants the best that can be done to it, so the caps I'm using are Nichicon FG for the preamp sections, Nichicon PW for the power supply, Nichicon ES for the bi-polar caps and Nichicon KL for the blue and orange low noise caps, like the last one except I'm using Nichicon FG instead of Panasonic FC. The preamp transistors are being replaced and all the functions are going to be extensively checked for proper operation.

Here is some before photos:




Underside of the filter caps and the rectifier board


The boards before

Phono amp


Tape/Mode board


Tone amp


Driver amp boards


Power supply


Here it is after re-lamping!


And after recapping!

Phono amp photo to be added

Tape/Mode board


Tone amp


Driver amp board (they both look like this)


Power supply


New filter caps


And it put back together!




It's a great warm sounding receiver, kind of like the Pioneer SX-x5x series, but not quite like it, it has its own flare on the sound that sets apart from that series. Overall a very nice receiver, I'd recommend it to anyone.

3 comments:

  1. Good work, Matt. I have a Sherwood S9910 that I'd like to have recapped, but I don't see any contact information for you here.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt- Very nice work! I also have a Sherwood S-9910 that's having issues. Have good audio in both L & R after turning it on for about 30 seconds then a crackle sound then no audio. This is regardless of the source. Could you please give me some basic troubleshooting ideas to start with? Best, Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have this receiver, and I can't figure-out how to get the dial lamp board off from the chassis. There are two plastic "rivets" on the ends, but no way to release them. Do I just cut the heads off from them?

    ReplyDelete